Complaints and Comments Policy

FItzalan Medical Centre is always looking for ways to improve the services it offers to patients. To do this effectively, the practice needs to know what you think about the services you receive. Tell us what we do best, constructive feedback where we don’t meet your expectations plus any ideas and suggestions you may have. Only by listening to you can the practice continue to build and improve upon the service it offers.

Tell us about our service by completing the feedback and complaints triage.

  • Could you easily get through on the telephone?
  • Did you get an appointment with the practitioner you wanted to see?
  • Were you seen within 20 minutes of your scheduled appointment time?
  • Were our staff helpful and courteous?

Practice complaints procedure

If you have a complaint about the service you have received from any member of staff working in this practice, please let us know. The practice operates a complaints procedure as part of the NHS system for dealing with complaints. Our complaints system meets national criteria.

If you make a complaint it is practice policy to ensure you are not discriminated against, or subjected to any negative effect on your care, treatment or support.

How to complain

In the first instance please discuss your complaint with the staff member concerned. If this does not resolve the situation, please ask to speak with the reception team leader who will look further into your concerns and offer you further advice on the complaints procedure. If your problem cannot be resolved at this stage and you wish to make a formal complaint, please let us know as soon as possible; the practice management will then deal with your concerns as appropriate.

If it is not possible to raise your complaint immediately, please let us have details of your complaint within the following timescales:

  • Within 12 months of the incident that caused the problem or
  • Within 12 months from when the complaint comes to your notice

The practice will acknowledge your complaint within three working days from receipt. We will then investigate your complaint within the practice. We will keep you informed of the progress of our investigation and send you a response explaining the outcome and any actions to be taken as a result

When we look into your complaint, we shall aim to:

  • Find out what happened and what went wrong
  • Make it possible for you to discuss the problem with those concerned, if you would like this
  • Make sure you receive an apology, where this is appropriate
  • Identify what we can do to make sure the problem doesn’t happen again

Complaining on behalf of someone else

Please note that Fitzalan Medical Centre adheres strictly to the rules of medical confidentiality. If you are complaining on behalf of someone else, the practice needs to know that you have their permission to do so. A note signed by the person concerned will be required, unless they are incapable of providing this due to illness or disability.

Complaining to other authorities

The management team hope that if you have a problem you will use the practice complaints procedure. However, if you feel you cannot raise your complaint with us you can contact the following organisations:

Clinical Commissioning Group Complaints Team

NHS England

Contacting the Care Quality Commission

If you have a genuine concern about a staff member or regulated activity carried out by this practice then you can contact the Care Quality Commission on 03000 616161, or alternatively visit the CQC website:

Healthwatch – Independent Health Complaints Advocacy Service (IHCAS)

Healthwatch West Sussex provides a free and independent health complaints advocacy service, which helps local people explore options for getting their voice heard when they feel something has gone wrong with their health service.

For more information, visit their website at or contact them at:

Patient Advisory Liaison Service (PALS)

PALS provide a confidential service designed to help patients get the most from the NHS. PALS can tell you more about the NHS complaints procedure and may be able to help you resolve your complaint informally. Your local PALS office can be found on their website by selecting the “Contacts” and “Quick Contacts” pages at:


If you are not happy with the response from this practice (local resolution) you can refer your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman who investigates complaints about the NHS in England. You can call the Ombudsman’s complaints helpline on 0345 015 4033. Alternatively, you can visit their website at or email them at

They can be written to at:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman Millbank Tower